Bad dog food can make dogs sick and unhealthy. Most dog owners tend to buy cheap dog food brands not realizing that most of them are made using cheap ingredients. These ingredients come from unknown sources and most of them contain harmful additives or chemicals. Some of them are used to replace natural proteins and most of them are made up of calories without much nutritional content. When you feed your pet on this bad dog food it can experience malnutrition, indigestion, and even some dangerous health conditions.
The following are some of the ingredients found in dog/puppy food brands to avoid;
- Corn: Corn is usually used in ingredients because it is cheap to grow and harvest. It is alright to feed as long as it is not on a regular basis.
- Grain: grain are also mixed into the dog foods to make the production cost cheaper. Unlike humans, dogs don’t have the molar teeth necessary to grind up the grains. This may lead to unproper digestion.
- Soybean: One of the ingredients that is difficult for dogs to digest and also suspected to be a reason to canine allergy.
- Meat: You should be aware of meat ingredients in some dog food brands as they may be expired meat.
- Poultry by product meal is a dry rendered product of slaughtered poultry. It is advisable to stay away from pet food brands that contain this ingredient. It contains little or no value for the dogs’ nutritional needs.
- Avoid additives such as synthetic chemicals, flavoring and dyes.
What brand of dog food is bad for dogs? The answer is given in list below.
- Purina Dog Chow; this dog food contains whole grain which is a bad choice for your dog.
- Hill’s Science Diet; It includes ingredients such as corn and soybean oil.
- Ol Roy by WalMart; Contains ground corn, soybean and meat meal.
- Pedigree; Includes ingredients such as corn and poultry by product meal.
- Cesar; contains by products instead of real cuts of meat which un nutritional and causes indigestion.
- Muenster Natural Adult Dog Food; It has ground corn, corn gluten meal, brain rice and citric acid that altogether leads to digestive problems and weight gain etc.
- Kibbles N Bits; contains beef and bone meal, soybean meal, wheat flour and again corn as well as synthetic dyes and hydrochloric preservations.
- Iams Dog Food; this dog food contains dried beat pulp which is used as sugar that leads to weight gain.
The above are some of the puppy/dog food brands to avoid. All dog foods are obviously not made in the same way. The first thing to consider when buying a dog food brand is to examine the ingredients and packaging. By doing this you are making sure that your dog receives the nutrition and protein they need. Instead of buying dog food brands with chicken meal or beef meal, try to look for sources with natural meat sources for protein needs. As mentioned earlier, avoid additives such as dyes or synthetic flavoring, look for ones with ascorbic acid as they contain vitamin c as they its natural and harmless unlike chemicals.
All in all, owners should not just buy dog food brands based on their prices. What makes a bad dog food is the ingredients it is made of. Thus owners should carefully read the ingredient list and chose the one with natural and healthier ingredients.