Australian shepherds, an American breed despite of his name, are medium-sized dogs and they can weigh up to 70 pounds. Australian shepherd dogs are so energetic, agile, hardworking animals. Hence the name, they are good at ranch works and herbing. If we feed him with high-quality and best dog food, we can realize the maximal worth of an Australian shepherd.
What is the best dog food for Australian shepherd?
- Like almost all dogs, Australian Shepherds need some essential nutrition. They are protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, minerals and water.
- As in others, the best protein source for the best dog food for an Australian shepherd is animal-based protein. It is the first ingredient. However it does not mean that you cannot use plant-based protein. Of course you can but the higher quality protein you use, the healthier and the happier an Australian shepherd dog you have.
- Meat meals have more protein than the whole meat as most of the moisture in meat meal is removed. So, for the best food for Australian shepherds, meat meals should be listed on the ingredients label.
What are the most important ingredients in an Australian shepherd diet?
- That is to say, the first ingredient is the animal-based protein; the plant-based protein can follow. It should be noted that animal-based protein can be much more easily digestible.
- Dog food manufacturers use the plant-based protein because they are less expensive than meat proteins.
- Good sources of animal protein for your Aussie include meat, poultry, fish, and eggs. Your dog will have all of the amino acids which are necessary for his health with these protein sources.
- As in protein, animal-based fat should be preferred depending on the same reason.
- AAFCO (the Association of American Feed Control Officials) states that adult dogs should have 18 percent protein and 5 percent fat in their diet. However they are minimum percentages. If your dog works, herbs and does exercise, he will need much more protein and fat.
- What if they are always be fed with only meat, in other word with only animal-based protein? Is it sufficient for your dog? Well, protein is the most important ingredient for an Australian Shepherd food but it is not enough.
- Australian shepherd dog food should be enriched with vitamins and minerals and some fruits and vegetables can be used as a source of vitamins and minerals.
- However onions, garlics, chives, grapes, raisins, prunes and some type of mushrooms are not optimum choices for dog foods. Also, limes, oranges and lemons can cause severe stomachache.
- A high quality dog food can provide sufficient carbohydrate. Peas, lentils, sweet potatoes, and other common ingredients contain lots of complex carbs. Chicory and beet pulp, as sources of carbohydrate are also helpful as prebiotics.
- As in all living beings, water is source of life. Always keep clean available his water. Besides, if you feed your dog with a dry dog food, he will need a little bit more water.
- Your Aussie should be kept away from additives, filler materials and preservatives.
- You should feed your dog in complete and balanced diet if you want to have a healthy and happy Australian Shepherd.