Large/Giant breed puppies are known for their quick and longer growth unlike smaller dogs. They can grow up to about 150 pounds in a short period of time such as 18 months. Some breeds can continue growing until they are nearly two years old but they can be adult dogs by the time they are six or seven years old. The giant dog’s metabolism can change quickly in a short time during these years so its diet also needs to change as appropriate. This kind of growth and change makes the breed sensitive to different amounts of nutrient or calcium. Thus special attention is required when choosing the best large breed puppy food as any excess or less of nutrient or calcium intake may affect your puppy’s health.
There are a lot of things to consider when trying to choose a good dog food for a giant breed of dog. One of them is your dog’s age, if it is still growing or if it is already an adult dog, if it has any specific health issues, and its activity level, any many more. Below are some suggestions to keep in mind when feeding a giant breed puppy.
- The best dog food for giant breed puppies must be one lower in fats, phosphorus and vitamin D. Excess of any of these may lead to Development Orthopedic Diseases.
- You should make sure your giant breed puppy food is lower in calcium and calorie to prevent the increase rate of growth and promote a proper bone development over a short time.
- The protein in large breed puppy dog food supports normal skeletal and muscular growth as it balances with the reduced amount of calories in the food.
- It is also important to monitor the weight of your puppy with care and formulate a diet that perfectly suits your puppy. It is not advisable to free feed your puppy. Free feeding is another cause of developmental orthopedic diseases.
- You should also not add any additives such as multivitamins, cottage cheese or yogurt to your giant breed puppy’s diet. This may lead to unbalanced nutrients which result to health problems.
- Don’t mix food dry food with water and try to feed your puppy several smaller meals instead of one huge meal per day. It is much easier to monitor and to balance the nutrients required in the puppy’s diet this way.
Some suggested giant breed puppy food brands include;
– Orijen Puppy Dog food
– Wellness Core Natural
– Taste of the wild
– Hill’s Science Diet
– Avo Derm Natural
The above listed foods have good reviews when it comes to giant breed puppy food as they are grain free with lots of protein and other ingredients necessary for your puppy. It is also highly advisable to consult your veterinarian when you notice any loss of appetite or weight fluctuation in your puppy. The veterinarian will help you in determining the appropriate weight for your dog and formulating a suitable diet according to that.