Miniature Schnauzer puppies are one of the best buddies you could have at home. They are obedient, intelligent and playful. The miniature schnauzers are small breed dogs that are always full of energy. They usually need more calories compared to the large breeds. But the puppies even need more.
Puppies tend to eat a lot of food from birth until about six months of age. Compared to the adult mini schnauzers, the mini schnauzer puppies eat two times more since they are still growing. Thus for a healthy steady growth, they require a balanced diet.
How to feed a mini schnauzer puppy
The best dog food for miniature schnauzer puppy food should contain the nutrients stated below to grow healthy.
- Proteins are one of the most important nutrients in the diet. Whole animal products like chicken, lamb or salmon are the most recommended ingredients of protein.
- The mini schnauzer puppies tend to burn a lot of calories with their playing and jumping around. Thus they need a good source of carbohydrates which are rice, maize, buckwheat and oats.
- Fats and oil is also a necessity in a mini schnauzer puppy food. They not only help in providing energy but also tend to promote the healthy growth of skin and coat. Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids are responsible for the skin and coat growth.
- Vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A, C, E, B-complex together with calcium and phosphorus are all required to form a balanced mini schnauzer puppy diet.
- Fresh water is yet another important aspect. Always try to keep your puppy hydrated. Frequently provide fresh and clean water after meals and during the day.
- Feed your mini schnauzer puppy about three to four a times a day. Having a feeding schedule is better than random feeding because random feeding may result into obesity without you noticing.
Things to avoid
- Keep away from grains such as corn and wheat. Look for carbohydrate sources that include rice, oats and so on.
- Avoid mini schnauzer puppy food with corn syrup. It is used in puppy foods as a sweetener and too much of it may result into obesity and diabetes.
- Beware of chemicals such as pesticides, hydrochloric acid, synthetic vitamin K, propylene glycol. All these chemicals may it difficult for your puppy to digest its food.
- Avoid any artificial flavors, coloring or preservatives. Try to keep natural ingredients.
Recommended Mini Schnauzer Puppy Food
Instinct By Natures Variety Raw Boost Puppy Grain Free Recipe
This is a good food for miniature schnauzer puppy because it has all the necessary nutrients for a complete balanced diet. It is rich in animal protein that includes chicken, chicken meal and turkey meal. It is also low in carbohydrates and contains the fatty acid DHA that comes from chicken eggs. What make it special are the morsels of freeze dried raw chicken. It is free from corn, soy and wheat that are hard to digest. Finally, it definitely does not contain any by products or artificial preservatives.
Wysong Optimal Growth Dry Dog Food
Its first ingredients are organic chicken, chicken meal, turkey meat, fish meal and peas. It is also rich in fresh meat and organs necessary in a diet. This food for miniature schnauzer puppy unlike other puppy foods contains coconut oil, colostrum, beets, montmorillonite clay and yogurt that keep the puppy healthy. It also contains omega 3 and omega fatty acids that help in maintaining a healthy skin and coat as well as development of both the eye and brain.
Lastly but not the least, this food for the mini schnauzer puppy contains probiotics and minerals that help in easy digestion.
The puppy food will need to be switched from time to time since they are growing. This transactions need to be done with care. It would be best if you consulted your veterinarian on this matter and together find what would be the best way to change the diet for your puppy.
Providing homemade mini schnauzer puppy food would be a lot healthier than buying puppy food products. But the home made puppy food should contain all the right amount of nutrients such as proteins, vitamins and minerals and so on. Again, you may consult your veterinarian on the proportions of these nutrients. Make sure not to free feed your mini schnauzer puppy when home feeding as it may lead to overweight that may cause health problems later on in its life.