Hunting dogs are Irish dogs bred for hunting. The hunting dogs tend to follow their large and deep nostriled snouts, long ears and huge eyes to capture a prey. They are known for their intelligence, courage and perseverance. The hunting dogs may be difficult to be kept as a pet if they are kept dominant. This is because they were originally bred for hunting. They need to be trained with a lot of mental and physical exercises in order to keep them calm and happy. Besides that, they also require a healthy diet to maintain their work and energy. This way they can become more sociable and good pets at home.
How to Feed Hunting Dogs
It is important to provide hunting dogs with dog foods that have high calories. This is because they tend to work all day and spend a lot of energy. To regain the energy they need calorie rich dog food for hunting dogs. A balanced diet will keep the hunting dogs healthy, both physically and mentally.
Below are some of the health problems a hunting dog may suffer from:
- Hip dysplasia affects the hip joint and socket. It limits the movement of the hunting dog. This health problem is eaiter inherited or caused by obesity. Sometimes this situation may lead to arthritis. Feeding the hunting dog with dog foods rich in chondroitin may help to promote bone health and prevent hip dysplasia.
- Bloat is a common health issue that usually affects many dogs. This is a situation where the stomach is filled with air or gas, making the dog have pain and feel uncomfortable. Thus the hunting dog should be fed with three meals rather than one heavy meal. This helps to prevent bloating.
- The hunting dogs drink too much due to their heavy work during the day. Thus providing super fresh water is a necessity. Otherwise, hunting dogs may also suffer from bladder stones.
Necessary Nutritions in Hunting Dog Foods
- Hunting dog foods need to be rich in fats. The fats help in fueling up the lost energy. Good fats include omega 3 and omega 6 that also contain DHA for brain and eye development. Fats from animal sources such as chicken or salmon oil are really beneficial.
- The hunting dog food must contain proteins as well, most especially proteins obtained from animal sources. The protein helps in growth and maintenance of energy. The proteins need to be of good quality and easy to digest. The good animal protein sources include meat, poultry, fish and eggs. The animal source proteins should however possess the ten essential amino acids necessary in a diet.
- Carbohydrates are also as important as the other nutrients found in the hunting dog food. This is because they provide the energy needed for the body to function. The good sources of carbohydrates are got from potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, peas and whole grains such as rice and corn.
- Vitamins and minerals finally make it up a balanced diet for hunting dogs. Vitamin sources are usually obtained from fruits and vegetables. They are usually found in most dog foods but can also be added as a supplement to the diet.
What to Avoid
- Avoid overfeeding and free feeding, its best to come up with a schedule;
- Avoid corn, wheat and soy as they tend to trigger allergy
- Avoid large kibbles and try to get small ones to make it easy for chewing.
- Avoid hunting dog foods that contain artificial colors, artificial preservatives and artificial flavors.
Recommended Hunting Dog Foods
Below are some of the best dog foods for your hunting dog. It is important to decide the portion for feeding after monitoring the amount of calorie and weight of the dog.
Annameat Ultra Formula
This is a recommended hunting dog food formulated mainly for both adults and puppy hunting dogs. Its first ingredients are chicken meal, brown rice and chicken fats preserved. It contains DHA for good brain development is rich in high quality meat proteins.
Victor Select Hi-Pro Plus
This hunting dog food recommendation is formulated mainly for active dogs. It is free from corn, wheat, soy, gluten and grain by products. It is high in proteins and fats while low in carbohydrates.
Purina Pro Plan Sport All File Stages
This is one of the best hunting dog foods. This food contains antioxidants, omega 3, glucosamine and amino acids. Its main ingredients are chicken, corn gluten meal, brewer rice and animal fats.
Gold Ultimate Performance
This is a good hunting dog food, it neither contains nor corn, wheat or soy that trigger allergies. Its ingredients are chicken meal, chicken fat, brewers rice, ground whole barley and dried beet pulp. It is also high in proteins and fats than carbohydrates.
Eukanuba premium performance
This is not the best but a good food for a hunting dog. It is a non-grain free formulated dog food. This dog food is made up of animal proteins. It contains calcium that promotes strong bones. Its first ingredients are chicken meat, chicken, corn meal, brewer’s rice, ground whole grain sorghum.
Feeding the hunting dogs with ready-made dog foods from stores is an easy and healthy way provided they are the best dog foods for hunting dogs. It would still be best to spare time and make your pet some homemade food as it is healthier. The homemade hunting dog foods should be full in all the necessary nutrients and most especially rich in protein and fats. If you are still confused on what to feed your pet, consulting a veterinarian about it is helpful. He/ she will guide you through.
There are other plenty of dog foods, what is important is choosing one with the right ingredients necessary for a proper growth and healthy lifestyle of your pet. If you sense any allergies or symptoms, make sure to visit the veterinarian who may advise you on the right diet for faster healing.