The Great Pyrenees are large breed dogs. They originally come from the Pyrenees Mountains where they were bred by peasants to protect sheep and goats. Later on, they were trained to guard people as well. They are known for their white and thick coats that make them look quite elegant. They also stand out for being intelligent, courageous, clam and friendly at the same time making them a good pet at home.
Great Pyrenees Dietary Needs
The great Pyrenees need to look elegant despite being large breed dogs. They need a balanced diet to maintain both the look and stay healthy as well. Since they use a lot of energy being actively guarding, they need a diet rich in proteins to fuel up the lost energy. They do burn a lot of calorie as well; this depends on the age and activity level of the Great Pyrenees. It’s best to feed them about two meals a day; this should be enough for the adult Great Pyrenees.
Below are some of them ingredients required in a Great Pyrenees diet.
- Protein is an essential ingredient. The protein sources should definitely be of good source. The most recommended is animal sources. Examples of animal source proteins include whole meats and meat. Whole meats refer to whole chicken, beef, fish and lamb. There should be at least two to three meat proteins in the first ingredients of the dog food.
- Fats are very important ingredients in a diet. They should also come from a good source. Sources like chicken fats are the best. Others include fish oil that is also a source of omega 3 fatty acid necessary for skin and coat health. Also, a source of DHA, form omega 3 fatty acids that promote eye and brain development. The medium chain fatty acids help older dogs to feed younger.
- Vitamins and minerals are necessary as well. The sources of both come from fruits and vegetables. They include carrots and blue berries.
What to Avoid
- Corn, wheat and soy may be avoided as they tend to trigger allergies. In this case, the dog may be provided with rice, barley and oats as sources of fiber and carbohydrates.
- Avoid free feeding or feeding a lot once during the day. This behavior may cause bloating which is fatal for the dog.
Recommended Great Pyrenees Dog Food
Acana Wild Prairie Regional Formula Dog Food
This is a grain dry dog food suitable for the Great Pyrenees. They include deboned chicken, chicken meal, green peas, turkey meal and chicken liver oil that make up the first five ingredients. As seen, they are all good sources of protein, making it one of the best dog foods for Pyrenees. It also contains 5 percent crude fiber and 17 percent crude fat.
Fromm Large Breed Adult Gold
This dog food is formulated specifically for large breed dogs like the Great Pyrenees. Its first three ingredients are duck, chicken meal and chicken. This dog food stands out for the added ingredient, chicken cartilage. This helps to keep the joints healthy. It is a grain free that is to say it contains no wheat, corn or soy that may trigger allergies.
New Fresh Grain Free Large Breed Dog Food
This dog food is made up of ingredients such as fresh turkey, salmon and duck. They are all good sources of animal protein. They also have omega 3 and omega 6 oils that come from coconut and canola. It contains chondroitin that promotes healthy joints.
Victor Yukon River Salmon And Sweet Potato Dog Food
This is large breed grain free dry dog food. ıt contains no wheat, corn, soy or any grain by products. The main source of protein in this dog food is fish. It is also known for containing no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives that may irritate the digestive system of the Great Pyrenees.
All the above are examples of best dog foods for Great Pyrenees. Despite that, it would still be beneficial if they were fed home food, provided the home food contains all necessary ingredients and nutrients. If you sense any signs or symptoms of allergy, then it’s advisable to visit a veterinarian who will advise on a better diet schedule for the dog.