Bichon frise is a small breed dog. It is known for its fluffy white coat and black eyes. Bichon is quite cheerful, playful and intelligent. It can easily socialize with the environment it is in making it a friendly companion at home. All it needs is to be loved and be given attention to always.
Bichon Frise Diet Advice
Bichons may be small dogs but they are quite active. They are playful at home and also love activities like long walks and runs outside. The bichons burn more calories compared to the large breed dogs. The calorie intake is thus an important aspect when considering bichons’s diet. Some of them may need more calories depending on the activity levels while others may need less. Providing them with high calorie does not mean feeding them on large amounts. Small amounts at specific times during the day is healthier for the Bichons. It is also important to measure the amounts of bichons dog food because to avoid overweight problems.
What Do Bichon Frise Eat?
Bichon frise need to eat healthy dog foods with ingredient of good quality. Below are some of the ingredients a bichon frise dog food should have.
- Protein is one of the most important ingredients in a bichon frise dog food. The most recommended source of protein is animal protein. A good bichon frise dog food should contain about two to three meat or animal protein in its ingredients. Examples of the animal proteins include whole chicken, beef, fish and lamb. Meat meals are also another source of animal protein. Meat meals are just a form of meat that does not contain moisture. Plant proteins such as lentils and peas. The only difference between animal and plant proteins is that bichons are able to easily digest animal proteins than plant protein.
- Fats are just as important as proteins. They should also come from good sources. The most recommended source of fat is chicken fat followed by fish oil. Fish oil contains omega 3 fatty acids that help in maintaining skin and coat health. ıt also contains DHA, a special form of omega 3 fatty acids that promote brain and eye development.
- Carbohydrate should come from sources such as sweet potatoes or potatoes. Wheat, corn or soy may also be sources of carbohydrates but they are not highly recommended because they trigger allergies.
Recommended Best Dog Food for Bichon Frise
- Wellness Core Grain Free Small Breed Formula
This dog food contains no grains such wheat, soy or corn that may trigger allergies. Its ingredients include turkey meats, deboned turkey, chicken meal, peas and potatoes. As seen from the ingredients, it is a highly rich in proteins. It also stands out for the chondroitin and glucosamine that promotes healthy joints. It contians fish ingredients that are source of pmega 3 fatty acids hence promoting skin and coat care. Plus it is small in size making it easier for the dog to chew.
- Fromm Small Breed Adult Gold
This food contains duck, chicken meat, chicken oatmeal and pearled barley as the first ingredients. It has small kibbles that are easy to chew and contains no corn or wheat that tends to trigger allergy. It contains salmon oil that is a source of fat and omega 3 fatty acids for skin care. It stands out or the probiotics it contains that help bichons to easily digest the food.
- Acana Merrick
This dog food formula contains deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, sweet potatoes and potatoes as its first five ingredients. It contains chondroitin and glucosamine that promote joint health. There are no corns, wheat or grain as well. It stands out for the high percent of protein, about 70 percent of meat protein. Thus, if you are looking for a high meat protein diet, this is the right one.
- Orijen Original Adult Dog Food
The first ingredients in this formula are deboned chicken, deboned turkey, whole eggs and yellow tail flounder. It contains fruits and vegetables as well among the ingredients. This formula contains no grains neither potatoes making a really low carbohydrate dog food.
All the above are bichon dog foods that are for good quality. It would definitely be much healthier if your bichon frise diet was made up of completely natural homemade food provided it contains all the necessary nutrients and ingredients. If you sense any signs or symptoms of allergy or loss of appetite then you may want to visit a veterinarian.