Bernese mountain dogs are active and require wholesome nutritional care to afford them a high level of energy and excellent health status. It is, therefore, essential to find out the best Bernese mountain dog diet for your pet.
Best Bernese Mountain Dog Food Options
The following are essential nutrients that this breed requires;
- Carbohydrates: This is essential in making the dogs active however it should be given in moderation to avoid rapid weight gain which is not healthy. The dogs should be fed on brown rice, pasta, oat bran, wheat bran and high fiber biscuits. It is, however, critical to ensure that the grains are free of allergens and your pet is not fed on food that can cause adverse allergic reactions.
- Proteins: Bernese needs high level of protein to be active and maintain an excellent immunity status against diseases. The primary sources for proteins for this mountain dog breed are fish fillet, chicken wings, beef, eggs, grated cheese, and yogurt. You should ensure that your dog food protein composition is within the range of 18 to 26 percent.
- Fibers: The dogs need fibers to enhance digestion and prevent constipation. Some of the best sources of fibers are whole grains, fiber biscuits, farina, seminola, and grains.
- Vitamins: Bernese dogs need vitamins more so the puppies to help them have a well-developed immune system. Since the dogs are at high risk of cancer, they need the greens to remain healthy. They should be fed on fruits and vegetables often. Some of the greens and fruits that the pet well tolerates them include broccoli, cranberries, apple, carrots, spinach, bananas, squash, green beans, cauliflower, and grapes.
- Fats: Bernese mountain dogs require moderate fat that should be below 16% of the entire food consumed. The fat is essential in supporting the body physiological processes such as energy processing, tissue development, and absorption of essential nutrients.
- Minerals: The best dog food for Bernese mountain dog cannot be complete without the minerals. They are two types of minerals that the Bernice pets require that is the trace minerals and macro minerals. Macro minerals are essential in the balancing of the body fluids electrolytes, enhancing of healthy skin and fur, efficient functioning of the nervous system, development, and maintenance of the teeth and bones. They include potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, phosphorus and sodium chloride. Trace minerals are essential in supporting the optimal heart functioning and building and of the body cells. These microminerals should be given in small quantities, and they include zinc, fluorine, selenium, chromium, manganese, iron, copper, iodine and zinc. Primary sources of these minerals are beans, Sweet potatoes, Molasses, fish, organ meats, vegetables, muscle meats and bone meal.
- Water: Though not classified as food but it ought not to be ignored. Water helps in digestion, excretion, and regulating of the body temperature. Your pets need to be hydrated and joints ought to be cushioned to support easy movement; hence you should always provide fresh and clean water throughout the day.
The best Bernese mountain dog diet should contain all the nutrients that will enable your pets to be healthy and energetic throughout their lifetime.