The Great Dane dogs live up to maximum ten years. Very rare cases live for more than ten years. It is believed that since they are giant dogs, they tend to grow and age quickly compared to other smaller breed dogs.
How to increase the life span of Great Dane dogs
All pet owners love their pets and would definitely love to see them live longer. So how is this possible for the Great Dane dogs? They will be discussed below.
- A good diet and nutrition
Healthy feeding and healthy eating habits helps in increasing the life span of Great Danes. Below are some of the eating habits that will help boost up the life span of your dog.
- Arrange a healthy diet for your dog considering its age and activity level. This way you will be able to feed it on amounts that will be just enough for it.
- Avoid free feeding from tables; this may ruin the nutritional balance that is right for your dog.
- Add supplements to its diet only if necessary. For more information on this, you may consult a veterinarian.
- Provide foods rich in glucosamine and chondoritin, they help to prevent skeletal diseases such as hip dysplasia.
- If your dog is suffering from obesity, then you have to rearrange the diet for it loose weight in a healthy manner.
- Make sure they get plenty of exercise
The Danes are not considered active compared to other dogs. They tend to get lazy; they may end up sleeping on the couch the whole day if it is up to them. What makes it worse is that they eat a lot. Having both these behaviours will make them overweight. The overweight will make them susceptible to heart and joint problems hence reducing their lifespan for sure. So it is really important to make sure they do some exercise almost every day even it is just an evening walk.
- Try your level best to prevent health problems from affecting them at a young age
It is not totally possible to get rid of health problems but at least it is possible to prevent it when they are younger. That is why it is really important to go to the veterinarian for regular checkups, early treatment is always better than a later stage. It is important to know all the disorders that may affect your dog such as hip dysplasia or thyroid disorder in order to be able to prevent them. Having them in mind, you will be able to prepare diets and exercise routines that will make a healthier lifestyle for your dog.
- Make sure to love and give attention to your Dane
Providing more than enough love and affection to the Dane will help prevent stress, anxiety and sadness. All these psychological factors may end up affecting your Dane’s health hence reducing its lifespan.
- Keep them away from fights
Keeping your dog in a safe environment where they will not be involved in fights is really necessary. This way they will not get severe wounds or injuries or infections that may affect their health leading to low lifespan.
The average lifespan of a Great Dane is about less than ten years, applying the above may increase on the life expectancy of the Great Danes. In other words, keeping the Great Dane healthy could make them live longer.